Introducing a new, streamlined, and high-value approach to TOGAF Certification:Get certified in both TOGAF 8 AND TOGAF 9, be marketable and knowledgeable in both versions of the standard, and achieve all this with a shorter, fully open-book single exam approach that is not available when seeking TOGAF 9 certification alone!
How Does It Work?When registering for one of our TOGAF 9 Level 1 + Level 2 "Combined" courses (either the online or face-to-face version), you have the option to also register for a TOGAF 8 Pre-Course, as a self-study add-on to the main TOGAF 9 course. This TOGAF 8 pre-course has a separate, additional cost of $295, plus an optional $45 study guide (e-book).
Those who register for the TOGAF 8 Pre-Course Add-on receive a PDF copy of the full TOGAF 8.1.1 standard, slide modules that provide an introduction and overview of TOGAF 8, and instructions on completing the TOGAF 8 self-study and certification program. The self-study aspects can be greatly enhanced and accelerated by acquiring an optional, but highly recommended, TOGAF 8 Study Guide, which is a much more concise and learner-friendly document than the actual standard; this optional study guide can be separately acquired from an online e-book vendor. After completing the self-study activity, two special online "workbooks" designed by EA Principals must be completed to confirm your general knowledge of TOGAF 8 through a variety of question types and short-answers; these workbooks may be completed at your convenience on an "open-book" basis prior to the start of the main TOGAF 9 course. Candidates should plan on spending a few hours of self-study time with the materials, and at least two to three additional hours for answering our workbook questions. Upon successful completion of our TOGAF 8 workbooks, EA Principals is able to grant you TOGAF 8 Certified status (via the Open Group). This status then allows you, at the completion of the main TOGAF 9 course that follows, to take the Open Group's TOGAF 8-to-9 "Bridging" exam as a more efficient and less demanding single examination approach to achieving TOGAF 9 Certified. Additionally, slide modules are provided to orient you with TOGAF 9 at an overview level, while also focusing on the evolution of key concepts from TOGAF 8 to TOGAF 9 (such as the Architecture Development Method (ADM) and the Enterprise Continuum concepts); this added TOGAF 9 information is beyond the scope of what you need to know to complete the TOGAF 8 certification workbooks, but provides a great head-start orientation as you begin the follow-on TOGAF 9 course.
As mentioned above, a commercially available TOGAF 8 Study Guide document (created by The Open Group) is available as a separate purchase for this self-study program. While this study guide is optional, we highly recommend its use to accelerate your learning of key points and to serve as the most straightforward reference when completing the workbooks (the complete TOGAF 8 standard is provided to you in PDF form, but, by itself, the complete standard book is a less efficient way to study and is a less efficient reference when completing the workbooks). We provide you with information on how to acquire the optional TOGAF 8 Study Guide document online. An instantly available e-book version can be purchased for as little as $45 (the cost of this document is not included in the $295 cost for this program).
Advantages of the TOGAF 8 Pre-Course Add-On Approach:
- By adding this special TOGAF 8 certification process to your TOGAF 9 course, the multiple choice portion of the TOGAF 9 certification exam becomes shorter and less demanding - it is an open-book exam approach and has only half the number of multiple choice exam questions (the regular TOGAF 9 Level 1 exam is closed-book and has twice as many questions - 40 vs 20).
- Even though you are taking a single TOGAF 8 to 9 "Bridging" exam (containing both Level 1 and Level 2 parts), which has the benefits mentioned in item 1 above, you are still granted full TOGAF 9 Certified status by the Open Group upon passing; this is exactly the same certification you would receive if you followed the regular TOGAF 9 approach and passed the two separate Level 1 and Level 2 exams.
- Beyond the streamlined path to getting TOGAF 9 Certified as described above, you are also able to achieve TOGAF 8 certification without the need for a physically proctored exam and without the need to travel to any sort of test center. You satisfy the TOGAF 8 certification criteria simply by completing and submitting our special TOGAF 8 workbook, which you can do online in an open-book fashion at your convenience.
- By learning TOGAF 8 in advance, and focusing on key points that are common with TOGAF 9, you are better prepared to grasp many of the core concepts in the TOGAF 9 course, allowing you to gain deeper understanding and greater retention going into the TOGAF 9 Bridging exam. The TOGAF 8 Pre-Course option also provides you with additional instructional modules that highlight concepts that are only found in TOGAF 9; these modules help you understand key differences between TOGAF 8 and 9 and give you an even stronger head-start going into the main TOGAF 9 course.
- Understanding both TOGAF 8 and TOGAF 9 provides you with a richer understanding of the evolution and value of TOGAF, and allows you to work more effectively with organizations, teams, and individuals that work with either or both of the standards (many organizations still conduct some or all of their EA programs under the TOGAF 8 standard for legacy, compatibility, and skill-base reasons).
- TOGAF 8 exposes you to certain resources and content that were removed in TOGAF 9 for scope and maintainability reasons. This content still has significant value in its own right. Examples include the guidance TOGAF 8 gives on the Standards Information Base (a rich database of open IS/IT standards endorsed by The Open Group) and several case studies from industry.
How to Sign-Up:If you have already registered for one of our scheduled online or face-to-face TOGAF 9 Level 1 + Level 2 Courses, or you are in the process of registering for such a TOGAF 9 course, you may complete a short, online request form (via the link below) to receive the materials for this TOGAF 8 Certification Pre-Course Add-On option. The $295 cost of this add-on will be added to your TOGAF 9 course invoice once we have received your request and your completed TOGAF 9 course registration.
You may complete this simple request form now, online, via this link (note that this form is separate from, and not a substitute for, the required TOGAF 9 course registration):
TOGAF 8 Certification Add-On Request Form
Or, you may simply bookmark this page and return to it at a later time, such as after completing your TOGAF 9 course registration if you have not already done so. This Info Sheet (the page you are viewing now) is also available in the Courses section of our website, under the TOGAF tab, and on the Course Schedule/Registration listing page.